Ordinary--DAR marker of granite boulder with a bronze plaque
marking General Braddock's Encampment in 1755. Located on the left
side of the old brick Montgomery County Courthouse in Rockville,
MD. This marker was placed on 9 July 1913.
Ordinary--DAR marker of granite boulder with a bronze plaque
marking General Braddock's Encampment at Clarksburg, MD, in 1755.
Located off Route 355 approximately 75 yards south of "Hammer
Hill," a private residence at 23310 Frederick Road, Clarksburg.
This marker was placed on 15 April 1915.
Cabin John's Presbyterian Meeting House--Near the
Potomac United Methodist Church. It was marked with a granite monument
in 1916. This marked the establishment in 1716 of the first Presbyterian
Church and School in the area. The original church closed and the
Methodist Church was built near the site on Falls Road in Potomac.
The marker is located on the grounds of the church cemetery. It
has been questioned that this church was established in 1716.
George Washington Bicentennial DAR Marker--located
at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue and River Road, Washington,
D.C. This marked Indian trails, the march of General Braddock, and
the inspection of this road by George Washington. The marker was
dedicated on 22 April 1933. An article appears in the DAR Magazine
in the August 1933 issue. In 1990 this marker was missing.
Fort Frederick State Park--The water well was restored
and marked by the chapter with a bronze plaque in July 1930. It
is located on the grounds inside the Fort which is near Big Pool,
MD. Adjacent to the Fort is a log house museum where is displayed
a small wooden plaque with a brass marker indicating that a White
House Elm Tree was donated to the park in 1933 by the Janet Montgomery
Frederick Amelung of Breman, Germany, built a glasshouse about 1790
in "Frederick Town" and produced a glass of outstanding
quality of lead and soda-lime formulas. The engraved pieces ranked
with the better glass made on the Continent. Amelung's business
failed after several years of production. Amelung is located at
Furnace Road on the Monocacy River in northern Montgomery County.
by Dale A. Boggs and Margaret Renfors, 1991.
Markers of Revolutionary War Soldiers:
Bowie --Grave site located at Union Cemetery, now Rockville
Cemetery, Rockville, MD, in the original section. Despite not finding
trace of the marker, chapter minutes and newspaper articles indicate
that this grave was marked on 29 October 1922.
Jeremiah Crabb--Grave site located in Derwood, MD,
in a small graveyard next to a home development. There is no trace
of a DAR marker but there is a small stone which has sunk into the
ground near the raised brick grave. Chapter minutes and newspaper
publicity indicate a marking ceremony in November 1922.
William Hempstone--Grave located at Monocacy Cemetery
in Beallsville, MD. Minutes indicate the War Department marker was
dedicated in 1915.
Waters--Grave located off Hadley Farms Road in Gaithersburg,
MD. This was the original homesite of the Richard Waters family.
The headstone was dedicated by a formal ceremony 11 October 1911.
Richard Waters served as a surgeon.
Moore--Grave site is located at Trinity Episcopal Church
yard, Upper Marlboro, MD.
Marked on 18 November 1923.
Leake--Sgt. Leake's grave site is located in the Brown Cemetery,
Sandy Springs, MD. This grave was marked in either 1911 or 1912.
It took place after the marking of the Richard Waters Grave.
Brooke--Originally the chapter had a War Department marker
placed at the homesite, "Fair Hill I," of Richard Brooke
in 1915. The dedication did not take place until 1932. The home
burned in 1977 and a parking lot was built at this location at Olney
Village Shopping Center off Route 108, Olney, MD.
Scott--Brigadier General. Scott's grave was marked by Janet
Montgomery Chapter and the Kentucky State Society on 30 May 1999
at Frankfort State Cemetery, Frankfort, KY. Scott was one of Washington's
Continental Generals from Virginia and the fourth Governor of Kentucky.
of the chapter mention the following graves were marked or were
being considered for marking by the chapter. Revolutionary graves
were marked by the placement of War Department Headstones or DAR
Insignia markers at later dates. The following are some graves mentioned
in early minutes: Nathan Musgrove and N. Pigman,
1912; Samuel Wade Magruder, 1913, Larman and
Gleason, 1916; and Henry Griffith.
at 8314 Seven Locks Road, Bethesda, MD. This is the home of Samuel
Brewer Magruder. The marker dedication was 19 October 1940.
Locust Grove--located at 7340 Westlake Terrace, Bethesda,
MD. This is the home of Samuel Wade Magruder and was restored
by Chevy Chase Savings and Loan. The plaque was dedicated by the
chapter in 1940 and rededicated in 1985.
House--Marked by the chapter in honor of the Bicentennial
on 4 October 1975. Located in Brookeville, MD, President Madison
took refuge in this home of the Postmaster of Brookeville when Washington
was burned during the War of 1812. The town of Brookeville, MD,
was the U.S. Capitol for one day, 26 August 1814.
the history of Janet Montgomery Chapter, trees were planted, conserved,
and marked to commemorate historic events. The following is a listing
of some of these plantings and markings.
Montgomery County Court House--Ten trees were dedicated
in 1921 to the memory of the original county commissioners.
Bradley Boulevard at the Horse Show Grounds--In 1929,
seventy-one Scarlet Oak trees and seventeen evergreens were planted
in memory of deceased members.
Fort Frederick State Park, Big Pool, MD--Monetary
contributions to the Maryland State Society reforestation project
of pines, 1930. Our chapter also donated fifteen trees to Fort
Frederick in 2007 as part of our chapter
centennial events. Many trees were in honor
of loved ones. Two trees were dedicated in
memory of past chapter regents, Mary
Elizabeth Price and Margaret Renfors.
Bicentennial Tree-A 200 year old Black Oak was dedicated
in Brookeville, MD, in memory of a deceased member, 1977.
George Washington's 250th Birthday Tree--A Bradford
Pear tree was planted at the new Montgomery County Court House in
of the U.S. Constitution Tree--In 1987, a seedling from
the Maryland Wye Oak Tree was planted at Forest Glen Park,
Silver Spring, MD. The Forest Glen Park property was owned by the
Maryland Signer of the Constitution, Daniel Carroll. The original
Wye Oak Tree was finally felled by a storm in 2002. It was
said to be more than 400 years old.
Tree--A Colorado blue spruce was planted in 1993 at Seneca
Valley High School to honor Capt. Thomas Clifford Bland.
Capt. Bland was killed in Operation Desert Storm.